DIY Farmstand Arrangement
Written by Sara Angelucci/ DIY Farmstand Arrangement/ September 28 2020.
Flowers just make a space more vibey.. Shopping from your local farmers market is a great way to get unique, beautiful, and seasonal blooms for your space. I'll teach you how to put together a Moody Farm Stand flower arrangement.
The blooms used for this arrangement are from the Encino Farmers Market.
- King Protea (King protea is a flowering plant from South Africa, sometimes also referred to as sugar bushes.)
- True Blue Eucalyptus (True blue eucalyptus smells aromatic and is beautiful, strong, and sits stiff which allows you to use it to create a strong foundation for more wimpy stems. )
- Silver Dollar Eucalyptus
True blue eucalyptus smells aromatic and is beautiful, strong, and sits stiff which allows you to use it to create a strong foundation for more wimpy stems. It is a nice compliment to silver dollar eucalyptus which is softer with big round leaves. To create a moody floral arrangement choose greenery that has branches to create lines.
- Select your flowers of choice. In season blooms are less expensive, and if you’re shopping on a budget, your local farmers market is a great option. Create a mix of complementary colors and textures. For a large arrangement, pick two greenery for your texture and base like silver dollar eucalyptus (pictured above) and true blue eucalyptus.
- Cut the ends of the stems on an angle using garden shears (you may have to cut them shorter depending on the container)
- Place the greenery into the vase first, with ¼ of the vase filled with cool water.
Start by adding your largest flower first, working in a circle, turning the vase as you go.
- Layer in the next variety of flower.
- Try inserting darker foliage for depth and bare branches for interesting lines.
- Using tape is a sure way to keep your arrangement in order, you can create a criss cross pattern on the brim of the vase.
- Change the water daily to keep your flowers looking best.
If your looking to create something minimal try using a unique bloom as a single flower in a vase. This highlights the lines of the plant in a simple and chic way.
Or keep it monochromatic with greenery for a warm and fresh look over the fire place.
Have fun with your arrangements, when you bring your new babies home place them in water for when you'r ready to start getting artistic. Play around with different vase sizes and variations. Theres no wrong way to put together an arrangement, and sometimes the most opposing combinations of greenery and blooms makes for the most original living arrangements.